Tuesday, September 25, 2018

names

Singing Eben to sleep the other night (while pacing on the paths around the house) I realized all of our kids have two-syllable nicknames:
Owen, Leah
Reuben, Rinnah
Krassi, 'Vania
Glory, Bobbi
Mira, Eben.

Tonight, rocking the same small child (Big Beefcake??) to sleep, I realized that the more names we give, the longer they get.

First, the two syllable names:
Owen
Leah
Reuben
Rinnah

Then Krassi started something three-syllable:
Krassimir
Evania (a question here - is it E-van-ya or E-van-i-a?? We'll go with the first.)
Gloria

And then another Bulgarian adoption brings four syllables:
Bogomila
Tsvetomira
Ebenezer

Question: do five-syllable names even exist??? Let's maybe not go there. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you called? Asking for 5 syllabled names?

    "Acomandata" and "Admirabilis" found in 13th C Italy.

    "Apollonia" is a popular name throughout the Middle Ages.

    "Athanasius/Athanasia" for the more classical spin.

    Another medieval Italian masculine name: "Beneventrata" -- but you've already got enough 'Bens. From the same source we have feminine "Donagnesia" and "Donaficia".

    "Desiderata", "Desiderius", and "Desideria" also work.

    "Hildenibia" is a lovely 9th C Germanic name that could plausibly be revived.

    "Innocentia"/"Innocentius". "Octaviana". "Ottolenana." "Pantasilea". "Samaritana". "Sintaruizzilo". "Theodelindis". "Valeriana".

    (When you're in need of 6- and 7-syllabled names, remember Giovanbonino and Gianfigliazzo.)

    Well, you did ask...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is marvelous. ;) I'm partial to Hildenibia (a nice nod, in a way, to Matt's grandma Hilda), and I'm particularly fond of the six and seven syllable options...I can't decide which one I like better!

      Delete